Pineapple Upside-Down Dump Cake ( provided by Taste of Home)
Prep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours + standing Makes 10 servings
Quick, easy and delicious! Substitute cake mix with sugar or gluten-free options to make this dessert acceptable for all food intolerances)
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 can (20 ounces) of unsweetened pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size) ( substitute for sugar or gluten-free)
- Vanilla ice cream, optional ( substitute with whipped cream or dairy-free options)
- In a microwave, melt 1/2 cup butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread evenly onto the bottom of a greased 5-qt—slow cooker. Sprinkle with cherries and pecans; top with pineapple. Sprinkle evenly with dry cake mix. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over top.
- Cook, covered, on high for 2 hours or until the fruit mixture is bubbly. (To avoid scorching, rotate the slow cooker and insert a half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts.)
- Turn off the slow cooker; let stand, uncovered, 30 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with ice cream.
1/2 cup: 455 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.
Taking time out from a busy schedule to cook can also be a great stress reliever. Preparing even simple meals at home can be creatively fulfilling. Adopting a diet of healthy, home-cooked meals can increase your resilience to stress, anxiety, and depression and boost your mood and outlook.