Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 15 minutes Total Time 45 minutes Serves 6
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2cloves minced garlic , optional
- 1frozen Primavera vegetable blend (or your favourite)
- ½cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1teaspoon salt
- ½teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2/3cups dried quinoa
- 2ounces Parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- 3tablespoons chopped Parsley
- Rinse Quinoa
- Put quinoa in a mesh strainer and rinse with cool water for 1-2 minutes
- Heat one teaspoon of olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the quinoa a cook, stirring frequently, until the quinoa begins to pop.
- Add 4 cups of water, vegetable stock, or a combination of the two.
- Bring to a boil, cover, then reduce heat to let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is thoroughly absorbed.
- Remove the lid from the pot and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add frozen vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- Add to vegetable mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in quinoa and cook until heated through, adding additional broth if necessary.
- Serve warm with sprinkled parmesan cheese and parsley
Note: Add Chicken for a full meal. Quinoa leftovers are great for next day lunches