Sweet Potato Pilaf
Total Time Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour Makes 8 cups
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2-1/4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse wild rice thoroughly; drain. In a large saucepan, combine rice, broth and oil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is fluffy and tender, 50-55 minutes. Drain if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Add asparagus, sweet potato and onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until potatoes are crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in kale, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes. Stir in rice and reserved bacon. Sprinkle with parsley.
3/4 cup: 156 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.